Andrew Neil in talks with Channel 4 over weekly political show | Andre Neil

Andrew Neil is in talks to present a weekly political show on Channel 4, a move that would see him swing left to join what he once called “the broadcast arm of the Guardian”.

Neil, who is the chairman of the conservative magazine Spectator and had a brief and calamitous stint with the right-wing GB News last year, had previously dismissed suggestions of such a move.

The former Sunday Times editor is in advanced talks with the channel’s program director, Ian Katz, and news and current affairs director, Louisa Compton, according to the industry trade newspaper Broadcast, which has first realized the evolution. The paper understands that a Sunday evening slot is being considered for a political analysis show.

Channel 4 is said to be considering an evening slot as it is reluctant to coincide with the BBC’s 9am political show, which is hosted by Sophie Raworth following the departure of Andrew Marr.

Sky News also has a Sunday morning program, Sophy Ridge on Sunday, which is currently run by Trevor Phillips. The early evening slot for the political show means he could follow C4 News’ early evening Sunday bulletin, which airs around 6.30pm, allowing Neil to offer analysis of the day’s news, d to interview heavy personalities and project themselves into the coming week.

Channel 4 declined to comment.

Neil, 72, described his decision to help found GB News as “the biggest mistake” of his career. He said in a November interview that the channel was heading in a “Fox News direction”, with its backers resembling a “Ukip tribute band”. He said he didn’t want it to be the “end point” of his television career.

Although he was the face of the channel before it aired in June, Neil left after presenting just eight programs in three months. He resigned in September, saying he was unhappy with technical errors, the loss of the management team and the political direction of the channel.

Discussing his departure and the stress that preceded it, the former BBC presenter, who walked away from a £4million contract, told the Daily Mail: “It was a big decision, but frankly , I didn’t care if it was £40m. It would have killed me if I had continued.

News of Neil’s possible move follows the departure of Jon Snow, who left Channel 4 News in December after more than three decades. Snow will continue to work with Channel 4 on long-running projects and dedicate more time to his charity work.

There are ongoing questions about the future of the public broadcaster. Ministers are working on 600,000 responses to the government’s consultation on the privatization of the channel.

Privatization could bankrupt up to 60 British production companies, according to a report published last September. Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries told a select committee in November that a decision had not been made and that all evidence would be considered.

Comments are closed.