North Korea appears to have fired two cruise missiles: Report | Politics News

North Korea is not banned from launching cruise missiles under UN sanctions on Pyongyang.

North Korea fired what appeared to be two cruise missiles into the sea off its east coast, Yonhap News reported, citing military sources, following a series of banned ballistic missile tests at the start. of the month.

South Korea’s military is evaluating Tuesday’s launches to determine the nature of the projectiles, Yonhap added.

NK News also reported that two cruise missiles were fired, citing a South Korean military official.

The country’s Joint Chiefs of Staff did not immediately have confirmation of the report.

Cruise missile launches are not prohibited by United Nations sanctions.

In recent weeks, North Korea has defied international condemnation and conducted four rounds of ballistic missile tests.

Last week, the Academy of Defense Sciences conducted a test of two western tactical guided missiles that “precisely hit an island target” off the east coast.

North Korean media also reported that the country’s powerful decision-making body, chaired by leader Kim Jong Un, said it would consider resuming testing of intercontinental nuclear and ballistic missiles (ICBMs) “all temporarily suspended” in the country. part of an ongoing effort to strengthen the country’s military. against a “hostile” United States.

In recent months, Pyongyang has stepped up its rhetoric against US President Joe Biden’s administration as it conducts a series of ballistic missile tests, including what it described as a new hypersonic missile.

In a separate development, the Yonhap news agency said South Korea had detected no signs of North Korea attempting to restore the underground tunnels at the Punggye-ri nuclear test site despite indications from maintenance work there.

Earlier, Olli Heinonen, former deputy director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said in an interview with the Voice of America (VOA) that Pyongyang was maintaining the site as evidenced by “car tracks and cleaning snow”.

In 2018, Pyongyang announced that Punggye-rin had been demolished as part of an expression of denuclearization.

“We have identified reported maintenance activities at a portion of the facilities there, but we have not detected any signs of tunnel restoration activities,” the Joint Chiefs of Staff official told Yonhap undercover. of anonymity.

“Since the closure of the Punggye-ri nuclear test site, we have been paying close attention to related activities there. To date, there is no noticeable change.

Comments are closed.