US Congress subpoenas two far-right leaders in Capitol attack probe
The congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday issued subpoenas to two far-right leaders who joined former President Donald Trump’s failed bid to quash his electoral defeat. The House of Representatives committee said it believed Nicholas J. Fuentes and Patrick Casey had information about the planning, coordination and financing of the events leading up to the attack.
Both men “are leaders of the ‘America First’ or ‘Groyper’ movement and were present on the Capitol grounds on January 6,” the committee said in a statement. He is looking for records and testimonials from the men. Fuentes and Casey were not immediately reachable for comment.
The committee aims to publish an interim report this summer and a final report in the fall, a source familiar with the investigation said last month. On Tuesday, the committee issued subpoenas for three lawyers https://www.Reuters.com/world/us/giuliani-other-pro-trump-lawyers-hit-with-subpoenas-over-jan-6-attack -2022- 01-18 including pro-Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani. Members of the select committee said they would consider turning over evidence of Trump’s criminal conduct to the US Department of Justice. Such a move, known as a criminal remand, would be largely symbolic but would increase political pressure on Attorney General Merrick Garland to indict the former president.
(This story has not been edited by the Devdiscourse team and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)