Catholic group slams Biden’s response to church attacks in ad

    President Joe Biden
US President Joe Biden |

A Catholic advocacy group has launched a $1 million ad campaign calling on the Biden administration to condemn violent attacks and vandalism by pro-choice activists against Catholic churches.

CatholicVote announced the launch of a million-dollar ad campaign on Tuesday, saying in a statement that its ad will run in battleground states, including Arizona and Wisconsin, both of which offer races competitive gubernatorial and US Senate contests.

Joshua Mercer, communications director for CatholicVote, said in the statement that the ad will also be aired in Washington, DC, for the Justice Department and other political leaders to see.

“The American people are disgusted by the inaction of our Department of Justice,” he added. “This ad sends an important message, calling on our lawmakers to demand action against this vicious campaign of targeted violence against Catholics.”

The 30-second ad at the center of the campaign begins with archived footage of attacks on churches in the 1960s and quotes John F. Kennedy, the first Catholic president of the United States, condemning the attacks as ‘cowardly and outrageous’ and swearing that “as soon as we can find out who did it, we’ll arrest them”.

The video then features headlines and images of vandalized churches and pro-life pregnancy centers this summer after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned. Roe v. Wade.

The ad shows an empty podium, indicating the lack of an adequate response from “our second Catholic President.” It then shows footage of President Joe Biden urging people to “keep protesting.”

CatholicVote’s ad campaign comes two months after the group signed a letter urging U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland and U.S. Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Kristen Clarke to condemn the violence against churches and pro-life pregnancy centers and to “commit to vigorous efforts to prevent them”. , and to investigate and prosecute them; and to engage proactively with the religious communities concerned to ensure that their security concerns and needs are met.

Signed by 24 leaders of other conservative and religious organizations, CatholicVote’s letter raised concerns that “the administration’s relative silence further endangers Americans.”

“In December of last year, the Department of Justice was asked how it was investigating repeated attacks on churches in the United States,” the letter said, referring to a December 2021 letter from the president of CatholicVote, Brian Burch, sent to Garland and Clarke.

“The Attorney General has also been asked to investigate these complaints and take appropriate action, as is your duty. Since that request, there has been a public silence.

While the June 2022 letter acknowledged that “the Federal Bureau of Investigation has assisted at least one concerned religious organization on this matter,” the signatories argued that “the gravity of the situation demands your leadership.”

They wrote that “this continued assault on religious and pro-life groups for their beliefs is a manifest injustice that requires a swift, comprehensive and public response.”

CatholicVote has compiled a list of violence against Catholic churches that has erupted since May 2020, when violence erupted across the country following the death of George Floyd while being arrested for using counterfeit money.

More than 207 Catholic churches have been vandalized since 2020, according to the group, ranging from smashed windows to stolen and defaced property with graffiti displaying pro-abortion messages.

The Christian Post has compiled its own lists of attacks on pro-life churches and pregnancy centers following the May 2 leak of the Dobbs draft opinion.

The first list includes companies targeted by pro-abortion activists before the Dobbs decision. The second list contains churches and pro-life pregnancy centers that have come under attack since the Dobbs decision.

Shortly after the leak Dobbs decision, the US Department of Homeland Security warned those involved in the abortion debate, including clergy, Supreme Court justices, health care providers and politicians, that violent threats directed against them “are likely to persist and increase before and after the emission [of] the official decision of the Court” in Dobbs.

Government agencies said at the time that they were preparing for an upsurge in violence and would investigate threatening social media posts.

In early 2021, before the Supreme Court announced its intention to review Mississippi law in the center of the Dobbs case, the DHS placed “abortion-related domestic violent extremists” on a list of groups that “pose a high threat to the homeland.” The DHS defined “abortion-related domestic violent extremists” as “DVEs with ideological agendas supporting pro-life or pro-choice beliefs.”

Ryan Foley is a reporter for The Christian Post. He can be contacted at: ryan.foley@christianpost.com

Free Religious Freedom Updates

Join thousands of others to get the FREEDOM POST free newsletter, sent twice a week by The Christian Post.

Comments are closed.