Party passes 16 resolutions at General Council meeting
Unity leadership returned to the AIADMK after five years as the party passed a new resolution on Monday favoring the appointment of Edappadi K Palaniswami as acting general secretary. At today’s crucial General Council meeting, the AIADMK rescinded the dual leadership structure and subsequently removed its rival O Panneerselvam from the core party membership.
A total of 16 resolutions were passed at the AIADMK General Council meeting at the party office in Vanagaram, Chennai amid strong opposition from the PAHO.
AIADMK passes 16 resolutions; appoints EPS as General Secretary
– The General Council of AIADMK adopted a resolution to revive the position of General Secretary, allowing all primary members of the party to elect a person to the highest office of the party; elect the secretary general.
– The General Council proposed to end the post of “coordinator/co-coordinator” dealing a blow to O Panneerselvam.
– The General Council then passed a resolution to remove the dual leadership and create a position of Deputy General Secretary for the party.
– AIADMK unanimously elected Edappadi K Palaniswami as Acting General Secretary of the party until a General Secretary is elected as per amended statutes, in 4 months.
– AIADMK General Council passed a resolution to remove O Paneerselvam from senior party members
– Council passed a resolution requesting Bharat Ratna for Periyar, MG Ramachandran (MGR) and J Jayalalithaa.
– The party also passed a resolution empowering the General Secretary to select the Deputy General Secretary of AIADMK.
– Council denounced DMK for abolishing all welfare policies introduced by former EPS Chief Ministers and J Jayalalithaa.
– The party called for a protest against rising fuel prices and rising crime rates under DMK.
– AIADMK also urged state and central governments to stop Karnataka from constructing the Mekedatu Dam.
– The council called for the construction of rehabilitation centers for Sri Lankan Tamils and refugees entering the state amid the crisis in the neighboring country.
EPS-OPS executives clash in front of the party office
Earlier today, the Madras High Court rejected a request by former AIADMK coordinator O Panneerselvam to suspend the conduct of the general council meeting and ruled that the court cannot interfere. in the internal quarrels of a political party.
Judge Krishnan Ramaswamy handed down the verdict on Monday morning, which allowed the EPS faction to hold the meeting of the General Council, the highest decision-making body of the opposition party in Tamil Nadu.
At the GC meeting, AIADMK leader Natham Vishwanathan slammed the OPS, saying he has two faces and does not want anyone to succeed in the party. “He’s jealous…in my experience. I’m glad he’s out now,” he added.
Ahead of the crucial GC meeting, unruly scenes were seen outside the party headquarters in Chennai as factions of Edappadi K Palanisawmy (EPS) and O Pannerselvam (OPS) clashed violently. The EPS and OPS factions threw stones at each other in front of the AIADMK party office, and many people were injured in the clash. Some people were seen forcing their way into the party office by opening the doors despite tight security.